When I started looking for a croquet set for our backyard, I had no idea how many different options there would be. I couldn’t find any useful guide to help me figure out what quality of set I needed, or how much to spend. So after testing multiple sets, and hours of research, I’ve created this guide to help others in that same situation.
There are many croquet set manufacturers with prices ranging from $30 up to $400. An average croquet set for a typical family will cost between $75 and $150 depending on the size and quality of the set. The materials used, and amount of mallets included, directly affect the price of the set.
There’s such a wide range of options out there, and I wanted to go over the most popular of every price range. That way this can be a guide for anyone interested in buying a croquet set. No matter what you plan on using the set for, you’ll find something here.
Here’s a list of the categories and croquet sets in this article, with more info on each of these below.
|Baden Deluxe Series
|$ 90 – 120
|Mid-Range 6 Player
|Hathaway Deluxe 6 Player
|$ 150 – 170
|Budget For Kids
|Sdoveb 4 Player
Franklin Sports Starter
|$ 30 – 40
|Budget For Family
|$ 50 – 70
|Mid-Range For Family
|$ 70 – 90
|Juegoal 6 Player
|$ 50 – 70
|High End 6 Player
|Oakley Woods Extreme
|$ 380 – 390
|Best High End
|Amish-Crafted 8 Player
|$ 400 – 420
Best Overall Croquet Set
The Baden Deluxe Series Croquet Set (link to Amazon) was selected as best overall croquet set because of the level of quality used in the set and its price point. This is the set we ended up keeping ourselves out of the many we’ve tried and reviewed.
What I liked the most is the detachable mallet heads would screw on tightly and felt secure and good quality. The portable carrying bag was nice, since I like to be able to pack up and store everything away in a neat package. However, most of the sets we reviewed came with a carrying case.
Here are some of the features displayed on their website:
SET INCLUDES – 6 hardwood mallets with soft grip handles, 6 brightly colored poly-resin balls, 9 steel wickets, 2 hardwood end posts, and instructions
- Quick and easy setup – Metal connector pieces on mallets make setup and take-down a breeze
- Store with ease – Durable weather-resistant carrying bag which allows for easy storage and transportation
- 33″ long mallets and soft grip handles reduce strain while playing
- Ideal for 2 – 6 players on most surfaces
Here’s a full on video review of this set in case you wanted to see what it looks like when you order one.
Best Mid-Range 6 Player Croquet Set
The Hathaway Deluxe 6-Player Croquet Set (link to Amazon) was the best mid-range set for 6 players that we found. The cost was a little higher than the Baden set above, but the quality was decent. Everything fit together nice and firmly.
I have to admit we broke one of the mallets pretty early on when using it, but that could be blamed on the rough playing youngsters. The including carrying bag was decent, but could have been better quality for the price of the set.
Here’s some specs on this croquet set:
- 6) 9-in x 2-3/8-in hardwood mallets
- 6) 31-in solid hardwood handles
- 6) 3-1/3-in durable chip resistant polymer balls
- Color matched mallets and balls -black, blue, pink, Red, yellow, and White
- 9 weather-resistant, powder-coated steel wickets
Best Budget Croquet Set For Kids
The Sdoveb 4 Player Croquet Set (link to Amazon) is the best budget set for kids. This is one of the least expensive sets I could find. Most likely overseas and sold to multiple different companies. I saw this same set branded under a few different names.
Also try searching for Franklin Sports Starter Croquet Set on Amazon for another cheap alternative. Sometimes they’re in stock, sometimes they’re not.
I honestly wouldn’t recommend either of these sets if you actually want to play croquet. But if you’re looking for the cheapest set around, that will give the kids something to do for a while, and keep them out of your hair, these sets will work.
Here are the specs they advertise:
- Durable and long lasting design, suitable for 2-4 players, enjoyed by people of all ages and ability levels.
- This croquet set has everything you need for an exciting game. hardwood handle and hardwood mallet are easy to install, simply screw the handle into the mallet, takes few seconds.
- Easy to carry, with carrying bag, easy storage and transportation, you can take it to wherever.
- Leisure sport for your parents, friends. Perfect for family gathering, picnics, parties and more.
- Mallet: 13 x 4.8 cm/5.11×1.88in, Medium rod: 75 x 2 cm/29.52×0.78in, Benchmark: 37 x 1.7 cm/14.56×0.67in, Ball: 7.3cm/2.87in, Gate: 20 x 20cm/7.87×7.87in.
Best Budget Croquet Set For Family
The GoSports Croquet Set (link to Amazon) is the budget friendly pick for a family game of croquet. I was actually surprised by this set, being only 30 dollars or so more expensive than the cheap kids set above, I though it would be junk. But, it was actually a nice little set to use.
I didn’t like how the handles fit into the mallet, and the balls were too easy to dent. It seemed to made out of cheap material because we were able to easily crack a mallet right out the gate. But, if you’re looking to spend as little money as possible, and still get a set the whole family can use, this is a good choice.
Here are the specs as advertised:
- COMPLETE CROQUET SET: Includes 6 color mallets, 6 balls, 9 wickets, 2 end posts and rules
- DELUXE: Full size 35 inch handles can be used by players of all sizes; Handles are wrapped with comfort grip for superior control and convenience; The croquet balls weigh 10oz each with a diameter of 3 inches
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Mallets are crafted from premium Hardwoods for durability and feature a modern design that will look great on any lawn or backyard
- CARRYING CASE: Includes handy storage bag so you can neatly store the set and take it out to the park or parties
- GOSPORTS WARRANTY: GoSports is a US company with US customer support 100 percent satisfaction guarantee; Please contact us if you have any issues; This product is protected by US Copyright and Trade Dress
Best Mid-Range Croquet Set For Family
The BroWill Premium Croquet Set (link to Amazon) is the pick for a middle of the road croquet set for a whole family. Honestly I was going to put the Baden set here, but it won best overall instead. However, this BroWill set is actually a little less expensive than the Baden set.
The quality of this set is pretty decent for the price. Overall we were happy with how it performed. One thing I didn’t like is how heavy the balls were compared to how light the mallets were. I felt like I was going to brake the mallet making a long shot.
Here are the specs they advertise:
- [ 35 inch Full-printed Mallets, Friendly to Over 5ft People]- 26inch Mallets are good for kids. But 35 inch makes people over 5ft more comfortable and no need to bend over while playing it.Due to full covered by natural colorful lacquers, mallets have a great weather resistance.
- [ Big, Portable & Sturdy Carrying Case of 600D Fabric]- the bag is so big that you don’t have to take the mallets apart everytime you want to put these away.
- [ HDPE Balls, Durable & Hard]- Consisting of high density polyethylene, HDPE, the balls have a high level of resistance to environmental stress cracking, impact resistance and weather resistance.
Best Croquet Set For Gatherings
The Juegoal 6-Player Croquet Set (link to Amazon) was picked as best set for gatherings. The price lies somewhere between a mid-range and budget set, and has a classic croquet look to it.
The handles screwed into the mallet on this set, but it was just a wooden spiral on the end of the handle you attached too. Easy for that part to chip. I didn’t like the carrying case, it was more like a cheap bag you threw everything into.
We like this option for cookouts or party’s because it’s cheap enough you won’t be pissed when someone breaks it. But decent enough to have a good time playing croquet for a group of 6 people. It’s a typical set that you’d expect to see take some abuse.
Here are the specs Juegoal advertised:
- UPGRADED SIZE: The full length of upgrade mallets is 32 inch, longer than other brands, more suitable for young people. Croquet Set Includes full-sized 6 x 32″ hardwood handles, 6 x 8″ hardwood mallets, 2 x 21″ hardwood ending stakes, 6 x 3.1″ weather resistant molded balls, 9 x steel wickets with vinyl coating.
- Made of high quality hardwood for prolonged use and feature a modern design that will look great for any lawn, patio or backyard.
- Easy to set up, simply screw the handle into the mallet, you can start and play the game in a few minutes. Suitable for 2-6 players, enjoyed by people of all ages and ability levels.
- Equipped with a extra large drawstring bag, all mallets and balls can be easily stored without disassemble. This thoughtful bag let you storage and transport croquet set conveniently.
Best High-End 6-Player Croquet Set
The Oakley Woods Extreme Croquet Set (link to Amazon) won the spot for best high end 6 player croquet set. The wickets included with this set are weirdly thin, and the mallets are made out of plastic or polymer rather than wood. Other than that, this set was real nice to use.
The carrying case was nice, the feeling of the mallet was nice, and the balls were well made. If I was any better I would have been able to make some progress with those thin wickets, but it was nice to play with a quality set for sure.
Here are the Oakley Woods advertised specs:
- 6 mallets with 36″ handles and 8-1/2″ heads
- 6 polymer balls 3-5/16″ diameter
- 9 powdercoated steel wickets & 2 hardwood goal stakes
- Rules & instructions
- 12 month manufacturer’s warranty
Best High-End Croquet Set
The 8-Player Amish-Crafted Croquet Set (link to Amazon) won best overall high-end croquet set. It was the most expensive set on this list, and for good reason. This is the type of set you don’t even want to use, except as an art piece in the house. The difference in using maple hardwood is definitely noticeable as soon as you pick up a mallet.
The company claims these are made by Amish craftsmen in Pennsylvania, and I have no reason to doubt it. Forget the bag, this set comes with a full stand to store the set when not in use. No matter how much I loved this set though, it was too rich for my blood. If you can afford it, I’d recommend this one for sure.
Here’s the specs as advertised:
- Quality Made by Amish Craftsmen in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- Deluxe 8 Player Croquet Set – Perfect for Large Groups.
- Made with Maple Hardwood for Long-Lasting Durability.
- Features Four 28″ Handles and Four 32″ Handles to Fit Everyone in Your Family.
- Comes Ready-to-Play with Instructions and Convenient Wooden Storage Holder.